Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 1996 03:33:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        obrien@Nuxi.cs.ucdavis.edu
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PREFIX with X11 ports

 * Yes, I saw this in bsd.port.mk, but it doesn't affect anything -- xmkmf
 * builds the Makefile with /usr/X11R6 as the top of the tree.

If you want to move the whole X tree, redefine X11BASE in
/etc/make.conf and ProjectRoot in /usr/X11R6(oops)/lib/X11/config/site.def.

There is currently no way to safely move part of the X tree.  I've
talked with numerous people about this (most recently with Chuck, as
he just mentioned), but the one-tree-ness is just built so deeply into
the X design (take app-defaults for instance) I'm not sure if we can
change this. :(

Satoshi