Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 20:09:32 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        imp@village.org, peter@spinner.DIALix.COM
Cc:        dg@root.com, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, thorpej@nas.nasa.gov, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: trap type 29 on P6

>FreeBSD 1.0 GAMMA used to generate a stray irq7 for me the first time
>I hit the shift key after rebooting, and sometimes when I hit a
>keyboard key after that....  It got worse in 1.1R, but much much
>better in 1.1.5.1 or 2.0.5.  I think that 2.0 or 2.0.5 introduced the
>concept of I've logged too many of these, I'm quitting now, but I
>could be mistaken.

This was probably caused by bugs in versions other than 1.1 :-).
Pre-1.1 versions didn't report stray irqs very well.  1.1 configures the
lpa driver in GENERIC*.  Later versions configure the lpt driver with
irq7.  The lpt driver throws away stray irq7's and hides the problem.
Fixing this requires using a non-generic low-level interrupt handler
for irq7 and not using AUTO_EOI_1.

Bruce