Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:39:18 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getsysfd() patch #1 (Re: Virtual memory question)

Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:21:58 -0800, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org> said:
>
> > Meanwhile, in the real world, it is exactly what we need at work.
> > Anonymous shared memory (MAP_ANON and /dev/zero) isn't good enough.
>
> I haven't seen anyone explain or back up this assertion.  Tell me what
> the semantics are that you want, or give me the Message-ID where you
> posted them.  What, precisely, are you trying to accomplish?

Sigh.  It is in the beginning of this thread, before it changed name.
Search for the subject containing "Virtual memory question" from around
January 11th.  The original subject lives on in brackets.

The first message-id is <20030111224444.94D102A89E@canning.wemm.org>,
and there is quite a bit of elaboration afterwards.

> > Actually, we dont care for the shm_open() API too much at all since it
> > conflicts with our application libraries.
>
> Too bad.  It's been in POSIX or SSWG-RT for practically as long as
> your company has existed.

Doesn't change the fact that it hurts us and that we're glad it isn't in
RELENG_4.  And we'll probably remove it from RELENG_5 if we ever use it.
Matt's stuff is relatively easy to backport.  We wont be backporting
the shm_open() API stuff ourselves.

Cheers,
-Peter