Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:38:14 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Timothy Luoma <lists@tntluoma.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make "make" quieter?

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 12:31:30AM -0500, Timothy Luoma wrote:
>=20
> Maybe I'm Googling the wrong terms, but I'm trying to find a way to=20
> make 'make' less chatty during 'make install clean' (at least the=20
> 'make' part, I'd like to see the install stuff if possible... if not,=20
> I'd rather not.)
>=20
> There seem to be a lot of merely information stuff that comes by.  I=20
> didn't see anything in make.conf that might be a quiet/verbose switch.

make -s should work, although I've not tried it with ports.

> So far I've just been doing this:
>=20
> 	(make install clean  2>&1) > install.log
> The only problem is that it won't work with 'sudo' (can't use ">" with=20
> sudo) so I have to login as root.

You surely can use '>' with sudo.  Perhaps you're not quoting the
command properly, so you're actually redirecting the sudo output to a
file to which the non-superuser does not have write access?

sudo sh -c "ls > /foo" works as expected
sudo ls > /tmp/foo works too, since /tmp is writable.

Kris
--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO--