Date:      Sun, 03 Apr 2011 11:52:52 +0100
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        "Marat N.Afanasyev" <amarat@ksu.ru>
Cc:        Marko Lerota <mlerota@claresco.hr>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Constant rebooting after power loss

This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format.

--------------ms070907080703040202040804

On 01/04/2011 16:37, Marat N.Afanasyev wrote:

> to ensure consistency you should turn off physical drive caches, and
> degrade performance significantly, sometimes up to 1000x. if this is
> what you want, you may use either zfs or sync ufs. in such case you may=

> be almost sure that your filesystems are consistent. but if you use
> drive's cache, then without UPS you will face data loss and vanished
> filesystem earlier or later

I'm not sure the performance loss is so severe with modern drives=20
(attached to a decent controller). If they do tagged queuing (NCQ/TCQ) I =

think a lot of the performance lost through disabling the write cache=20
can be regained through the queueing system.

--=20
Bruce Cran

--------------ms070907080703040202040804--