Date:      Tue, 02 Feb 1999 18:17:52 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil@asteroid.svib.ru>, Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: YP-like mySQL thing

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> > >How do you get around the insecurity of mysql?  i.e. any user on the system
> > >can pretend to be user root using the -u option to mysql.
> > Well, only trusted users will be allowed to log in, and only locally logged
> > users will be able to read the database.
> >
> > Anyway, HOW DO I RELINK LIBC? Or no one in this list know?

The members of this list, by definition, know everything there is to know
about FreeBSD, since they're the people who built it.

> cd /usr/src/lib/libc ; <modify> ; make clean ; make all ; make install
>
> make sure you do it right, having a broken libc is not a good thing.
>
> i suggest you backup your libc.

Oh yeah, that'd be important.

Alex, I suggest that if you think you need to modify libc to do this, you
probably have not thought about it enough.  I've been watching this thread
for several days now, and wondering why it isn't sinking in that a PAM
module to access the MySQL database would do what you are asking for
without modifying libc.  That's why PAM was added.

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                     +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                  wes@softweyr.com