Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 2004 23:28:03 -0500
From:      "JJB" <Barbish3@adelphia.net>
To:        "Bob Johnson" <bob89@bobj.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Donald Turnbull <dmturnbull@yahoo.com>
Subject:   RE: Installation - More user friendly

Well I do have  specific comments about some aspects that needs to
be improved?

Right at the beginning of sysinstall should be warning  about what
to set PC bios options to, like plugNplay off, power management off,
boot time virus check disabled, PCI irq assignments set to auto, OS
type set to non-windows, ect. Give then option to cancel sysinstall
to set bios.

That should be followed with option  for standard basic install
using whole hard drive from cdrom, and no questions from that point
on. Behinds the scenes, fdisk deletes all hard drive partitions,
disklable uses auto config, skip config is taken, distro of kernel
source, no x-server, and no to all other questions, except set root
password and timezone.

Then for the original way, for each option question, give info about
what this option enables and why one would enable it.
Example

enable NFS server (yes / NO)   NFS stands for (Network File server)
An advanced function where by this system you are installing will
have an (Local Area Network) behind it and you want this system to
share It's disk space with the other FBSD PC's on the lan. Answering
yes will start the NFS server on this system and all the FBSD pc on
the Lan must have the NFS client running to access and share the NFS
servers disk space. Will not work with MS/windows PC on the Lan. Can
be enabled later by rc.conf statements. Only answer yes if you know
for certain you are going to use this function in the immediate
future.

This kind of pointed detailed information embedded into each
question installer is asked to respond to, provides the installer
with  the info necessary to make an informed chose right there in
front of them where it belongs and not off in some un-accessible
handbook.

That is what I see is missing from the sysinstall process and why it
is so user unfriendly to all but experienced FBSD users.