Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2017 16:04:18 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Create a truncated icosahedron with gnuplot or metapost

--TJeQeaVGMWOA7j1Hh6ToEj2QX5phnMbln
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--O2nV5FJj7MEtiXEOJ2gkdhr10JdJTtmwc

On 27/08/2017 14:51, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Dear freebsd-users,
>=20
> In looking for a way to draw a royalty free soccer ball with open sourc=
> software like gnuplot or metapost, I have found a promising page
>=20
> http://math.lbl.gov/voro++/examples/platonic/
>=20
> I have to run the programs there, but the problem becomes how can we sh=
ade
> the pentagons in black.  We can create a sphere in gnuplot, but to chan=
ge
> the faces into pentagons and hexagons?
>=20
> http://soukoreff.com/gnuplot/
>=20
> I have found a nice page that uses java to draw a soccerball
>=20
> http://www.hoist-point.com/soccerball.htm
>=20
> If somehow the github code can be converted to metapost?, or generated =
> get the points and then get the shading correctly.  I hope someone can
> help.  I have also looked into metapost extensions by Anthony Phan m3D
> package
>=20
> http://www-math.univ-poitiers.fr/~phan/m3Dplain.html
>=20
> And unfortunately I do not know enough of metapost coding, other than
> copying examples and run them on my machines.  Is there a nice idiot pr=
oof
> way of drawing a soccerball or a truncated icosahedron with gnuplot or
> metapost?  If anyone can help/advice/suggest please share your thoughts=
=2E

Is it specifically a truncated icosahedron you want, or a soccer ball?
Because there's this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Soccerball.svg

which is freely available under a creative commons license.  You should
be able to use an application like Inkscape (https://inkscape.org/en/)
to manipulate that image.

There's many other examples of soccerballs available, or indeed
truncated icosahedrons.  Just google for 'soccer ball clipart svg'

	Cheers,

	Matthew