Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 21:43:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Hu <jxh@cs.wustl.edu>
To:        dthorn@aa.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Support?

<dthorn@aa.net> writes:
> I have been bouncing around this server for thirty minutes trying to
> find information about a particular error message.

What is the error message?

> ... I tried searching the archives. However, my results are just
> references to documents without telling me where to look for the
> body of the messages.

When you search archives, the results are presented in hyper-text
form.  Click on a reference, and the complete message body appears.

> I wanted to install FreeBSD. I read everything in the handbook and
> the install guide. However, there is an install option that is
> overlooked.

What install option?

> I have tried installing from a dos partition, but the distributions
> are not being copied. It tries and retries, but fails. This is on
> hard drive 1 at less than 500 MB.

The Handbook explains that the distribution directories need to be
installed into a subdirectory called C:\FREEBSD.  So, in DOS, you
would have C:\FREEBSD\BIN, C:\FREEBSD\DOC, C:\FREEBSD\MANPAGES, ...

See: http://www2.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook15.html#15

Oh, you are running DOS, right?  Not Win95 or anything like that?

> As mentioned above, I tried the ftp option, but it is not
> recognizing the modem, I guess.

When the boot prompt comes up, quickly type ``-c'' and then return.
Then, configure the serial device that your modem is on.  E.g., if you
have an internal modem on COM3, configure serial device sio2.

> By the way how do I get the boot manager off my drive now. It loaded
> just fine.

In DOS, the command is ``FDISK /MBR''.

-- James