Date:      Sat, 8 Aug 1998 10:48:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@backplane.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman), freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem locking during lookups

    Well, I've seen cascade crashes where locks are held all the
    way to root, but ultimately it comes down to a deadlock on some
    deep file or directory.  But, again, it's doubtful that namei has
    anything to do with it.  It's more likely to be a deadlock in the
    filesystem vs VM code.

    I changed Diablo's feeder code on my test machine to avoid
    appending to the history file on each write (instead, it appends
    a large block of zero's and then allocates history records
    out of the block).  nntp3.ba.best.com has been the most stable
    it's been yet... up 9 days now.

    However, I am still seeing significant VM/fs corruption where
    the mmaping of files being actively appended to (in this case,
    the spool files) can cause physical corruption of the file.

					-Matt

:>
:> In 30 seconds, my machine made 1475 calls to namei, of which 209 were
:> root-relative.  Even with these changes, my machine still deadlocked
:> last night (although it lasted longer than it did the night before),
:> so I would say that there is a fair amount of filesystem contention
:> going on.
:
:Are you running soft updates?
:
:I have a *very* hard time believing that the lock is being held
:all the way up to root, intentionally.  There's simply no code
:to actually reverse traverse freeing the locks.
:
:Perhaps locked vnodes are being cached with the lock held in some
:way?
:
:Is your news spool mounted right off of root?
:
:
:I'm also very interested in your root vs. relative path count; can you
:say what the single largest culprit for this is?  Is there a single
:largest culprit responsible for absolute path lookup?
:
:
:					Terry Lambert
:					terry@lambert.org
:---
:Any opinions in this posting are my own and not those of my present
:or previous employers.
:

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)