Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:22:34 +0900
From:      Rob <spamrefuse@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.3-Beta7: diskless boot up does not show boot messages on screen.

Hello,

I am now successfully booting a diskless PC with 5.3-Beta7,
using an etherboot floppy. I can see the initial boot up
from floppy, followed by the downloading of the kernel
("..................done"). But after that no more messages
on the screen anymore, until after a while the login prompt
appears.

The diskless PC does produce a legitimate /var/run/dmesg.boot.
So I can inspect the bootup process after a successful boot.

However, if there's a boot problem, I do not at all get a
clue what's going wrong. A verbose boot up on the screen
is then of vital importance.

So why do i not get any verbose boot up of the kernel
messages with the diskless boot?

Rob.