Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 21:21:47 -0500
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: buildworld and PAM and login and stuff

On Wed, Dec 09, 1998 at 05:22:12PM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > If there are nonstandard options that cause the build to fail in the
> > middle, perhaps they should be documented or even detected.  I believe
>
> How?  There is a huge array of possible ways in which to hang yourself
> here and I'm almost certain it would be impossible to enumerate, let
> along detect, them all.  How do you detect that someone has passed in
> bogus CFLAGS, for example?  Or set the optimization too high?  All of
> those things can cause the build to fail and are only examples of some
> of the less subtle ways of doing it.

Well heck, if you know that the optimization shouldn't be changed,
then put a comment in /etc/make.conf, or better yet, have make
buildworld check to see if CFLAGS isn't set to the "officially
supported" value and tell the user.  I futz with my make.conf because
it's there and because it says things like "do this for better
performance".  Although I know better when building the world, I may
have forgotten.  I'm not suggesting artificial intelligence, just
things like "if you don't build Perl, foo will not work", so that
people don't innocently change something that bites them in the ass.

In any case, this is not an original idea of mine.  I just tried to
help out by pointing out something that may have been a problem.  I am
inclined to believe that it was some weird aspect of my build
environment now, so just forget about it.
--
Christopher Masto        Director of Operations      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

    "Good tools allow users to do stupid things." -- Clay Shirky