Date:      Sat, 8 Aug 1998 11:54:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Morgan Davis <mdavis@cts.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   tuning nfs

Where might I find information on tuning NFS for FreeBSD 2.2.7 (other
than the man pages)?  And what is the news on NFS 3 performance and
reliability?  I recently read a message here that said NFS 3 is very
broken in 2.2.7.  True?

We have a server that is causing these messages to appear on clients:

nfs server nsfserv-i2:/data: not responding
nfs server nsfserv-i2:/data: is alive again
nfs server nsfserv-i2:/data: not responding
nfs server nsfserv-i2:/data: is alive again
nfs server nsfserv-i2:/data: not responding
nfs server nsfserv-i2:/data: is alive again
nfs server nsfserv-i2:/data: not responding
nfs server nsfserv-i2:/data: is alive again
nfs server nsfserv-i2:/data: not responding
nfs server nsfserv-i2:/data: is alive again

The pairs ("not responding" and "is alive again") seem to occur in the
same second, according to timestamps in /var/log/messages.  Is this
from having some timeout threshhold set too low, not enough nfsds on
the server, not enough nfsiods on the client, a network problem, or
what?  Is it a real problem or just an annoying diagnostic?

Thanks for whatever assistance you can offer.

--Morgan