Date:      Wed, 22 May 2019 14:30:00 +0200
From:      Mark Martinec <Mark.Martinec+freebsd@ijs.si>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg upgrade -f dying on me

2019-05-22 13:46, je Grzegorz Junka wrote:
> root@someserv:~ # pkg --version
> 1.10.5
> root@someserv:~ # /usr/local/sbin/pkg-static upgrade -f
> Updating desktop_nvidia repository catalogue...
> desktop_nvidia repository is up to date.
> All repositories are up to date.
> Checking for upgrades (1637 candidates):  46%
> libwps03 has no direct installation candidates, change it to libwps?
> [Y/n]:
> Checking for upgrades (1637 candidates):  81%
> gmime26 has no direct installation candidates, change it to gmime30?
> [Y/n]:
> Checking for upgrades (1637 candidates):  82%
> glib12 has no direct installation candidates, change it to glib? [Y/n]:
> Checking for upgrades (1637 candidates): 100%
> Processing candidates (1637 candidates): 100%
> Child process pid=4192 terminated abnormally: Segmentation fault

This has been my experience (mostly) ever since pkg-ng was introduced.
When answering Y to such questions, it is very likely it will crash.

My 'solution' is not to accept any of the offered changes, but
just to delete the defunct packages, do the pkg upgrade, then
install whatever is still needed.

   Mark