Date:      Sat, 28 Nov 2020 10:54:09 -0800
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        "questions@FreeBSD.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: auto partitioning

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 10:39 AM Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com> wrote:

> Jan Stary <hans@stare.cz> writes;
>
> >   Taking the easy way, I opted for the auto partitioning in the
> >   installer, which apparently creates one huge partition spanning
> >   the whole disk.
> >
> >   Filesystem      Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> >   /dev/ada0s1a    285G    7.1G    255G     3%    /
> >   devfs           1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
> >
> >   Is that intended? I got used to separating /usr, /var/, /tmp and
> >   /home for various reasons. Is one big partition the preferred way
> >   to do things in FreeBSD?
>
>         Short answer: you asked for the easy way; you got the easy way.
>         My guess is anything else involves variables and decisions that
> are - and probably should remain - beyond the scope of the installer.
>         I haven't done "the easy way" since version 3, if not earlier.
> But I can explain why, and I'm willing to put in the time.

What Rob said. ;-).  The easy way is only easy once, then can get painful

 I want world-writable filesystems to be mounted differently, so I have
/tmp and /var/tmp as separate partitions.  World-writable means that any
user can fill the disk, unless you're careful about quotas.  With separate
partitions, you can add a device and mount it to /usr when it starts
getting crowded.  This is a typical setup for me =E2=80=93 disk is cheap, R=
AM is
expensive, so I tend not to use tmpfs.

/dev/gpt/X2yQSsIzhmKMO-root   /        ufs     rw,noatime       1 1

devfs                         /dev     devfs   rw               0 0

/dev/gpt/X2yQSsIzhmKMO-tmp    /tmp     ufs     rw,noexec,nosuid 2 2

/dev/gpt/X2yQSsIzhmKMO-var    /var     ufs     rw,noatime       2 2

/dev/gpt/X2yQSsIzhmKMO-vartmp /var/tmp ufs     rw,noexec,nosuid 2 2

/dev/gpt/X2yQSsIzhmKMO-usr    /usr     ufs     rw,noatime       2 2

Filesystem                    1K-blocks    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted o=

/dev/gpt/X2yQSsIzhmKMO-root     2031132   87992 1780652     5%    /

devfs                                 1       1       0   100%    /dev

/dev/gpt/X2yQSsIzhmKMO-tmp      2031132      52 1868592     0%    /tmp

/dev/gpt/X2yQSsIzhmKMO-var      2031132  211416 1657228    11%    /var

/dev/gpt/X2yQSsIzhmKMO-vartmp   1015324      12  934088     0%    /var/tmp

/dev/gpt/X2yQSsIzhmKMO-usr     15223292 5028288 8977144    36%    /usr

This requires some planning, but usually / doesn't grow, you need enough
space in /var for freebsd-update and pkg dbs, etc.  Whatever is left over
belongs to /usr
--=20

"Well," Brahm=C4=81 said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is =
no
wiser, but an intelligent person requires only two thousand five hundred."

- The Mah=C4=81bh=C4=81rata