Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:37:32 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Craig Rodrigues <crodrigu@bbn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to correctly detect POSIX 1003.1b features on FreeBSD?

Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> The Single UNIX Specification, Version 3 was released recently,
> incorporating POSIX 1003.1-2001.
> I think the standard is available for free (unlike the older POSIX standards)
> on the web:
> http://www.unix-systems.org/version3/

Thanks for the pointer.

> > The RT stuff is the one listed; the AIO stuff, I'd have to
> > look up; have you found it yet?  Or do I need to go diving?
>
> The AIO stuff looks to be there in FreeBSD for the most
> part.  Unfortunately in ACE, there is a interdependency
> between the AIO code and RT signals, so you either
> have to have all the features implemented, or you can't
> use any of them.

I rather suspected this was the case.  THere was a thread
on one of the lists recently that talked about hacking up
some of the AIO context to simulate a queued signal, as it
would normally have appeared had it come back through the
AIO.

> Is there a maintainer or set of maintainers who
> looks at POSIX stuff for FreeBSD?

There are "police".  Daniel Eischen handles threads,
Garret Wollman handles much of everything else, and
there are other people who will dip their oars in, if
it comes to it (like me; getting involved in this
discussion was related to the test macros not working,
which is about the extent to which I care about it).

> I notice that in /usr/src/sys/posix4/, there is
> some code for things like POSIX message queues.  Is that
> code maintained, or has it been deprecated in favor
> of kqueue?

The easiest answer to this is to look at when it was last
changed: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/posix4/

You'll also not that this "outs" Peter as one of the POSIX
mavens who does code in that area... ;^).

> I don't want to get into a debate about the technical
> merits of POSIX, but I have worked on some projects
> where adhering to POSIX api's was actually a project
> requirement due to customer demand.

I have, too.  Ususally, they mandated older versions of
POSIX, so that they knew they were well supports, and
relatively platform independent.  E.g. RT signals would
not even be considered as part of an implementation for
another 2-4 years.

-- Terry