Date:      10 Mar 2003 07:01:07 -0500
From:      Dan Pelleg <daniel+bsd@pelleg.org>
To:        Neeraj Arora <Neeraj.Arora@ems.rmit.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd nis server with debian clients

"Neeraj Arora" <Neeraj.Arora@ems.rmit.edu.au> writes:

> Hi Geeks, Girls and Guys,
>
> ...:^)
>
> I am having a little problem setting up a debian client to derive login data from a freebsd nis server. There is no problem when the freebsd nis server interacts with freebsd clients, but there is a problem when it interacts with a debian gnu/linux client.
>
> The authentication works when I force a password in the /etc/passwd file on the debian gnu/linux system. E.g.:
> +login_whatever:$1$blahblahblah:::::/bin/bash
> +::::::/bin/bash
>
> But, it does not work when the password has to be sourced from the nis server (viz. a freebsd machine). I confirmed that both are communicating/operating on nis v2. And moreover, the password on the freebsd server are stored in md5 too.
>
> So, I dont seem to understand what the problem may be.
>
> Any help will be great...:)
>
> Regards,
> Neeraj
>
> N.B.: I am a freebsd devotee and thus posting this to the freebsd-questions mailing list. I might try debian mailing lists too, but first here...:)

Can your client see the passwords with a "ypcat -k passwd"?

If it does, I would triple-check the password encoding (section 19.8.11 of
the handbook). Remember that you need to *change* the password after making
a change to encode it in the right method.

Next - what does /etc/nsswitch.conf on the client look like?

--

  Dan Pelleg