Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 2003 21:32:18 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        Dave <phoenix@shadow.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: optical mouse

Dave wrote:
 > Hello,
 >
 > I've been using FreeBSD 4.7 for about 3 months and I wanted to upgrade my
 > current mouse to an optical mouse.
 >
 > I tried out a GE Optical Mouse  (PS2 connection)due to that fact that it
 > stated that it didn't require a Windows system for basic operation.
 >
 > I attempted to use the automatic mouse function in XFree864.0 and it
 > won't recognize the mouse at all.  It will move  slightly when set to
 > Microsoft Optical mouse, meaning just a little bit on the right hand
 > side, but it won't cross the screen, nor will it recognize any of the
 > buttons.
 >
 > Has anyone managed to get an optical mouse (hopefully a GE Optical mouse)
 > to work with FreeBSD ?

Yes, I have a simple Logitech Optical mouse working (two buttons with wheel)
just fine.  I've found the only mice that I can reliably get to work are
PS/2 and PS/2-compatible USB Logitech mice.  There's a LOT of documentation
floating around for getting even the new ones like the MX700 working fully
under X.