Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:38:13 -0500
From:      Frank Laszlo <laszlof@tvog.net>
To:        aklist_061666 <aklist_061666@enigmedia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie: where is the startup configuration line for BIND?

aklist_061666 wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> I just upgraded from freebsd 5.1 to 5.3, and I want to edit the
> startup parameters for named so that it reads my previous config file,
> basically I want the startup parameter to be:
>
> /usr/sbin/named -4 -c /etc/named.conf
>
> But I can't find where that command string is?
>
> all that is in my /etc/rc.conf is "named_enable="YES" "
>
> I have another file called /etc/rc.conf~ which has the line:
>
> "named_program="/urs/sbin/named" "
>
> But is that file a backup file or is it actually used?
>
> Or do I just need to modify that line with the parameters I want it to
> start up with?
>
> Thanks!

(14:36:08) [laszlof@ritamari ~]% grep named /etc/defaults/rc.conf
<..snip..>
named_enable="NO"               # Run named, the DNS server (or NO).
named_program="/usr/sbin/named" # path to named, if you want a different
one.
named_flags="-u bind"           # Flags for named
<..snip..>

Add the approapriote lines to /etc/rc.conf and you're all set. DO NOT, I
repeat, DO NOT EDIT /etc/defaults/rc.conf. put overrides for it in
/etc/rc.conf.

Frank Laszlo
System Administrator
The VonOstin Group