Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 00:25:24 -0500
From:      Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/36453: compress(1) manual has erroneous description of "zcat".

--=.xOAjKVHFvr17ik

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 20:10:03 -0800 (PST)
Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

> The following reply was made to PR docs/36453; it has been noted by
> GNATS.
>
> From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
> To: "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
> Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: docs/36453: compress(1) manual has erroneous
> description of "zcat". Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 06:07:02 +0200
>
>  On 2002-03-28 19:27, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
>  > The compress(1) manual documents the command "zcat" which is
>  > better documented by the zcat(1) manual and which doesn't belong
>  > in this manual.
>  >
>  > Remove all mention of "zcat" (four places) and add zcat(1) to the
>  > "See Also" section.  Maybe also mention it in the description of
>  > "-c".
>
>  How about this?  I haven't added zcat(1) to SEE ALSO, since it's
>  not referenced anywhere in the manpage.  Also had a few
>  reservations about adding only zcat(1).  If we add this, then we
>  should probably add other compress-tools too, like gzip(1),
>  gunzip(1), zmore(1), etc.

Could we list the MOST used ones?  Or perhaps ones that are only
part of the base system.  In essance, things like bzip wouldn't be
listed...  Unless that was your plan ;)

>  What do you think?
>
>      -.Ex -std compress uncompress zcat
>      +.Ex -std compress uncompress
>       .Sh SEE ALSO
>       .Rs

I like, lets get Gary's opinion and maybe we can close this ;)

--
Tom (Darklogik) Rhodes
www.FreeBSD.org  -The Power To Serve

--=.xOAjKVHFvr17ik