Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:10:31 +0200
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer@omnilan.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   extremely strange results with "mail" or "make" after one day uptime

--------------enig6D298B2BA6A0E9657231BED0

Hello all,

I have absolutley no idea how it comes:
After one or two days of uptime, 'make -j3 buildworld' just returns=20
without any error but without doing anything.
Also sending mail via 'mail' produces mutilatet output: no valid rcpt,=20
no subject.
When I reboot the machine everything is fine again.
Daily status reports also stop working; that's how I found this=20
absolutley mysterious spookie thing.
And: sshguard destroys hosts.allow. It's suddenly empty.
The jails don't seem to suffer form that ghost.
My setup:
8.1-prerelease on amd64 with _read-only_ / (and unionfs /etc), and=20
dozends of ZFS filesystems for jails.

Where to start to debug?

Any hints highly appreciated.

-Harry