Date:      Thu, 14 Jul 2016 12:01:29 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: borderline OT fireox question

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 08:37:44 +0200, Dani=C3=ABl de Kok wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 11:14:26PM +0000, William A. Mahaffey III
>wrote:
>> OK, but where is that history kept, & how do they associate past &
>> current searches ? =20

I don't know, but it's deleted if I delete everything, e.g. cookies and
cache, but keep browsing and download history. Btw. I only tested this
after your request, I don't use this search thingy maself, I'm old
school and open a search engine by address bar or speed dial. I also
replaced Firefox with IceCat (another fork is Pale Moon), but my
favourite replacement is QupZilla, it's not really a fork, but very
close to Firefox and based on WebKit, so it never slows down as Firefox
and it's forks do. However, regarding privacy the forks are better than
Firefox is. If you want to ensure that Firefox doesn't "phone home"
after e.g. editing about:config, launch Firefox and Wireshark only ;)
and repeat it after a week, two weeks ... ;).

>I think that there are two possibilities:
>
>1. You see a correlation that does not really exist - Google is just
>   suggesting probably completions of a query, and other people search
>   similar things as you do.
>
>2. Google does track you, and is using other means to uniquely
>identify you.
>   EFF's Panopticlick [1] shows that most browsers have a fingerprint
> that is very unique. E.g. it finds that my particular browser
> fingerprint is unique among 132,254 browsers so far.
>
>At any rate, I agree with the grandparent poster: if you don't want
>Google to track you, don't use Google. StartPage is a good suggestion,
>you also might want to look into DuckDuckGo.

The problem with Startpage is, that it provides privacy, but anyway
relies on Google. The issue with DuckDuckGo is, less good search
results, especially for other languages than English, at least for
German searches.

Regards,
Ralf