Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:16:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        (Alexander Langer) <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        libh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Qt vs GTK

On 17-Jul-00 Alexander Langer wrote:
> Hello geeks!
>
> Does one of you guys have Qt clue?
> I've read MANY lines of code for the last two days, and it seems, that
> the only reason why libh uses this ugly Box-stuff instead of absolute
> positioning is, that Qt uses this technique.
>
> However, I find that QUITE ugly.
> In fact, I strongly believe, TVision is broken, because TVision
> natively only supports absolute position (with x-pos,y-pos that is),
> and the hack to transform that into this boxlayout scheme is broken.
>
> ( I can be wrong here !)
>
> However, since we must switch to Qt2 anyways, which has an
> imcompatible API, we must change stuff anyways.
>
> This made me think: Hey, why do we stick to Qt?
> GTK is much nicer (personal opinion) and we could use absolute
> positioning.

I don't care if we have both Qt and GTK backends (we _can_ have
both, btw), but I don't want to do absolute positioning.  The
nicest GUI toolkit I've ever used was the Java AWT and Swing, because
Java has these spiffy things called layout managers that allow you
to just create a button and throw it in a layout and voila, it all
gets sized and positioned for you.  This makes it easy to write,
and I'd like the same ability in our Tcl scripts to make it easy to
write scripts w/o having to worry about laying widgets out by hand.