Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 16:29:56 +0900
From:      Fuyuhiko Maruyama <fuyuhik8@is.titech.ac.jp>
To:        shudo@computer.org
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk1.3.1 awt exception, plugin, OpenJIT

At Mon, 27 Aug 2001 09:22:25 +0900,
shudo@computer.org wrote:

> Fuyuhiko and Mikhail,
>
> > but now I
> > can reproduce the problem Mikhail met (java.awt.AWTException: cannot
> > open XIM), so I will try to fix it as soon as possible.
>
> I don't think the exception which says 'cannot open XIM' is not a problem.
>
> > It means that XOpenIM failed.  For locales that Xlib locale-dependent
> > functions are capable, XOpenIM fails only when current locale needs
> > XIM server to input text in the language specified by current locale
> > *AND* the XIM server isn't available.  This is the case can be happen
> > in Chinese/Japanese/Korean environment.
>
> The AWTException also appears on Linux. Both Sun and
> Blackdown JDK 1.3.1 show the exception in case that the
> environment variable 'XMODIFIERS' is set but XIM server
> is not running.
>
> On Linux, I set the XMODIFIERS as '@im=kinput2' but do
> not run the kinput2 input server. The exception appears
> when a Java program needs text input for the first time.
> I just ignore the exception and the program runs fine.
It is simply because the difference between FreeBSD and Linux.  On
FreeBSD, there's no need to set XMODIFIERS to use XIM.  I can input
Japanese using kinput2 without XMODIFIERS, xwnmo can be used as well.
They seem to be registered as the default XIM server on FreeBSD and
they aren't on Linux.  I'm not sure why Linux needs user to set
XMODIFIERS.  In fact, I don't think X11's codes around XIM handling
have difference between both platform, so I feel it very strange.

> The exception doesn't appear if I ran the input server
> or unset the XMODIFIERS.
FreeBSD's case should be treated as the same case of Linux with
XMODIFIERS=@im=something.  The problem is XOpenIM()'s failure.

--
Fuyuhiko MARUYAMA <fuyuhik8@is.titech.ac.jp>
Matsuoka laboratory,