Date:      Sat, 2 Feb 2002 20:52:18 +0100
From:      messmate <messmate@free.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions-en <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   First install

hello all,
I'm a complete newbie to FreeBSD, as a Linux user.
I downloaded the floppy install packs as kern and mfsroot to simulate
my first install.
After reading (and downloaded) the 'book' and all I found about FreeBSD doc,
1. I understood that only 1 slice (named partition in dos or linux) can be handled
in FBSD. In this case when a new fresh install is needed all the mount-points
 will formatted (or not ??) so there is no way to maintain for ex. a /home or someting
as /usr/local ??
2.  FBSD can't boot AFTER the 1024st cylinder ? (That's my case=2d hd) Lilo can do it !
3. There is no mention about a boot floppy ? (wan't use the MBR for secure)
4. I don't see all my drives on my first simulation, like the cdrom, zip, soundcard/modem = isapnp
and my mouse won't work. (a simpel microsoft serial on com1) no other config of it won't work also.
5. Downloading all iso-images or doing an install over ftp is for me to expensive. (Tel. cost)
Is there a way to buy a 4.5 version powerpack ? I'm leaving in France. No way to find it, nor in
 France nor in the USA. (over the internet)
6. My actual partitions :
	hda = windooz and 2 linux partitions. (6.4G)
	hdb = linux  partions for a half (20G)
7. My hardware :
	Pentium 233 MMX
	1st HD Quantum Fireball ATA disk drive
	2d HD WDC WD200BB-00CVB0  ATA disk drive
	IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI floppy drive
	CD-ROM AKO ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
	floppy
	Soundcard creative SB AWE64  isa PNP Soundblaster audio driver
	Modem Gazel isa PNP passive ISDN R647/R648 (hisax)

Any comment would be very appreciated.
mess-mate