Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 17:22:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      OCtane <zhaoc@escape.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Off topic question regarding Digital River, ftp.cdrom.com, ftp.freebsd.org, etc.

Hi, sorry for this somewhat off topic question, but I felt that the people
"In the know" would probably be here.

I was doing some traceroutes to determine the best ftp mirror to retrieve
my favorite OS from, and noticed some changes in the way the servers are
set up.  I don't remember reading any news reports/press releases
regarding this, so I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to some
info or satisfy my curiosity.

As I recall, ftp.freebsd.org was always the same machine as ftp.cdrom.com?
Has freebsd's main repository been spun off from cdrom.com? It seems that
ftp.freebsd.org (now apparently freesoftware.com) is  hosted by
lightning.net, while ftp.cdrom.com stays at what has become Applied
Theory.  Does this have anything to do with BSDi buying out Walnut Creek?

And what is Digital River?  Is this a sub division of BSDi?  The ftp login
banner at ftp.cdrom.com has a fairly terse warning against linking to
files within the archive.  That really surprised me, since the way they
phrased it reminded me of that whole can-of-worms regarding the deep
linking of web pages...  (And there are strong opinions regarding that.)

So if ftp.freebsd.org is now a different server, are it's specs
available?  I was just curious since I noticed that it too has a max user
limit of 5000, just like cdrom.com.

Oh and there seems to be a routing loop to www.freebsd.org.  Keeps looping
between 165.113.118.1 and 165.113.118.2.  Hope that comes up soon.