Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 2004 20:25:52 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Per Engelbrecht" <per@xterm.dk>
To:        <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for switch recommendations ...

Hi again

> One thing I hate about comparison shopping for computers ... there
> are sooooo many options :(

- what are your needs vs. $, kinda answers this.

> What is the difference between Layer2 and Layer3, and what does
> that affect?

All switching is done in layer2!
Layer3 switch 'features' (functionality) is was the vendor put in the
box. Depending on the amount of $ you're going to spent, you can have
switches that can act as routers.

> I see the HP Procurve 2626 (I don't need 50 ports yet) for ~$600 on
> the web ... while I can pick up the Dell PowerConnect 3324 is ~$500
>
> How do I compare the two?  They seem to both use different
> terminologies for what I'd guess are the same thing:
>
> HP:
> Throughput: 2650 - 10.1 mpps (64-byte packets) 2626 - 6.6 mpps
> (64-byte packets) Switching capacity: 2650 - 13.6 Gbps 2626 - 9.6
> Gbps
>
> Dell:
> 	Switch Fabric Capacity 8.8 Gb/s
> 	Forwarding Rate 6.5 Mpps
>
> So, in both cases, the HP  is faster, but ... is that 6.6mpps "per
> port" (ie. the pp?) ... right now, I'm seeing max of around 3Mps
> going out a server, with average being well below 1 ... so I can't
> see hitting that high any time soon ...

The mpps is normally what the switch can do in total / back-plan
back-bone or whatever the vendor want to call it.

> Based on the #s for throughput, I can't see a big advantage of HP
> over Dell to warrant the extra cost, but I see nothing on Dell
> about the Layer2/3 stuff ... but not sure what that gives either

If you're going to calculate a $ pr. port cost-benefit, then you have
to make sure the rest of your setup is balanced accordingly (why spent
time on $ pr. port if the nic in the rest of the setup is cheap)

> Price wise, both the HP and Dell versions look reasonable, and I
> think the Dell is easier for me to get in Panama (I know there is a
> local office for them there) ...

There's a lot more to network boxes (router, bridge, switch et al.)
than just price and capacity, e.g. management, (I)OS, firmware,
support.

best of luck.

respectfully
/per