Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 09:35:39 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Keith Stevenson <k.stevenson@louisville.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interesting Attack

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Keith Stevenson wrote:

> We just had a Linux box fall victim to the WuFTPD/realpath(3) exploit.  The
> cracker installed a slew of IRC tools, a sniffer, and a scanner which behaved
> very similarly to what you described.  Thankfully it was on a switched network
> which limited the damage done by the sniffer, and the script-kiddie who broke
> in neglected to install the trojans included in his root-kit.  This made the
> ircd very easy to find once the Linux-user noticed that his system load was
> awfully high.
>
> Anyway, since this thing had "root-kit" written all over it, it wouldn't
> surprise me in the slightest if there are lots of broken linux boxen on the
> internet running these scans.

I thought of that too in my case, but port-scanning some of the originating
boxes showed no common threads other than they were all running IRC daemons.
nmap reported a wide range of OSes, too (including a lot of BSDs), and from
correspondence with the admins they showed nothing out of the ordinary on
their systems..

Kris

> Regards,
> --Keith Stevenson--
>
> --
> Keith Stevenson
> System Programmer - Data Center Services - University of Louisville
> k.stevenson@louisville.edu
> PGP key fingerprint =  4B 29 A8 95 A8 82 EA A2  29 CE 68 DE FC EE B6 A0

-----
"That suit's sharper than a page of Oscar Wilde witticisms that's been
rolled up into a point, sprinkled with lemon juice and jabbed into
someone's eye"
"Wow, that's sharp!" - Ace Rimmer and the Cat, _Red Dwarf_