Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 1995 11:01:25 +1000 (EST)
From:      Gary Roberts <gary@wcs.uq.oz.au>
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gating hackers into the newsgroups

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

> > ...  If every `lurker' agreed to
> > `adopt a newbie' and hold his/her hand until he/she got running, that
> > should immediately reduce newbie traffic in both news and mail by
> > transferring the traffic from the public lists to private e-mail.  However,
>
> If you manage to make this go, you have my personal nomination for the ...

OK, having been stupid enough to put my hand up in the first place, here
is what I see myself being able to do.

1.  I agree to act as a `registration point' for willing `lurkers'.  If you
    are willing to help, I would maintain your details on a centralised list.
    You would only get one newbie at a time unless you agreed to take more.
    You don't have to be a `lurker', just willing to `adopt a newbie'.
    (I've already put Terry down for 50.  With his volume of output he
    should easily be able to handle that number :-> ;-> :->.) (Although
    with his 20% `confusion' factor [according to Julian was it??] maybe
    that isn't such a good idea -- it'd probably be 90% with newbies :->.)

    All jokes aside, I just wanted to make it clear that the helpers list
    would be very much open to all and not limited to one newbie at a time.

2.  I would produce a suitable `announcement' of the service which would
    be posted say once a month (or whatever).

3.  I would receive all requests from newbies and send them a standard
    acknowledgement, pointing out that their commitment would be to take
    on a newbie themselves at the end of their `hand-holding' period.
    If they agreed to the conditions, I would allocate them to a helper.

4.  At the end of the hand-holding period (how long do people feel this
    should be??) the newbie name would be transferred automatically to
    the bottom of the helper list and they would be automatically given
    the next newbie.

5.  Helpers can withdraw at any time *after* handling 1 newbie.  This
    would be the basic minimum commitment of a helper/ex-newbie.

6.  I would try to do this `by hand' unless some scripting expert could
    come up with some automated scheme to handle it.

This is all just `off the top of my head' at the moment.  Please feedback
suggestions/comments as you see fit.

Cheers,
--
Gary Roberts  (gary@wcs.uq.edu.au) (Ph +617 844 0400   Fax +617 844 0444)
4th Floor, South Bank House, 234 Grey St, South Bank  QLD 4101  Australia.