Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 03:34:40 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, gibbs@plutotech.com
Cc:        mauri@aripaev.ee, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: -STABLE scsi problem (bug?)

On May 28,  2:17am, Bruce Evans wrote:
} >>vfs doesn't really know which filesystems have been synced properly,
} >>and doesn't call unmount() for any filesystem unless all buffers were
} >>synced.  The clean bit is set by unmount() so it is left unset for
} >>all rw-mounted filesystems if the sync failed.
}
} >Can't we just walk the buffer list, note the FSes the buffers reference,
} >and unmount any FSes that aren't referenced?
}
} We could, but syncing can only fail if there is an unexpected problem, so
} we should be conservative if we don't understand the problem.

I think this is overly conservative.  The unwritten buffers could be
destined for a dead NFS server, and we could be rebooting to clear the
stuck mount point.  It could be a definite inconvenience if this forces
a bunch of huge local filesystems to be fsck'ed.