Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 01:49:14 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where is 'dip' ... -- Any dip users out there?

Andrzej Bialecki <abial@mx.webgiro.com> wrote:

> If I understand you correctly, most of the functionality of dip you
> will find in ppp(8). Note, that it is NOT the same program as Linux
> pppd, to be sure... It has a nice and powerful command-line interface.

Incidentally, i recently considered removing the entire bsddip port.
(I'm the maintainer of it.)  There have never been any updates to the
original bsddip (AFAICT), ppp(8) is actively and nicely maintained by
Brian Somers, and nobody's going to use SLIP anymore anyway (and those
couple of you out there who do wouldn't use dip for it either, would
you? :-).

So are there really any remaining bsddip users?  Otherwise i'll kill
the port some day.

[Cc'ed to freebsd-hackers and freebsd-ports, just in case.]

--
cheers, J"org  /  73 de DL8DTL