Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:35:02 +0100 (CET)
From:      Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
To:        Michael Meltzer <mjm@michaelmeltzer.com>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 127/8 in ip_output.c

Hello,

> http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf/ipf-howto.txt about page 28+-
Besides that I often use jail to separate different services on the same
machine.
For this task I like to use addresses from the 127/8 range and bind the
jails to those on the lo0 interface.

For a shell jail I can run this on 127.0.0.5 with a RDR line in
/etc/ipnat.rules:
rdr fxp0 1.2.3.4/32 port 22 -> 127.0.0.5 port 22

And if users want to connect out from this jail I specify a:
map fxp0 127.0.0.5/32 -> 1.2.3.4/32

as you can see this way I don't use 127/8 addresses on external
interfaces, but the current behaviour stops this, because it sees the
traffic before IPF can NAT the packages, so it deny the 127.0.0.5.

I think this is not a breakage of the RFC, since I use 127/8 *internally*
for an internal network (that's what 127/8 is for) and FreeBSD denies it
to work.

I think it should be very good to give a sysctl for setting this...

Thanks,