Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2013 08:41:50 -0700
From:      Andy Balholm <andy@balholm.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pppoe connection freezes

I have CenturyLink DSL, and I use the user-space ppp program in FreeBSD =
9.1 to make the PPPoE connection. =46rom time to time (every few days) =
the connection freezes up=97no more data can be sent or received. No =
error shows up in ppp.log; all I can see there is that there are no more =
RecvEchoRequest and SendEchoReply entries after the connection freezes. =
If I send SIGINT to the ppp program, it reconnects just fine.

I talked to CenturyLink's tech support, and they said that one of the =
times that I had a problem, the connection was dropped on their end, but =
the others it was fine.

My ppp command line is
ppp -nat -ddial centurylink

My ppp.conf:

default:
 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 disable ipv6cp

centurylink:
 set device PPPoE:rl0
 enable lqr
 set authname balholmandrew@qwest.net
 set authkey ########
 set dial
 set login
 add default HISADDR

Is there a setting I can add to ppp.conf to make it detect when the =
connection freezes? Or is there something else that I need to fix?

Andy Balholm
(509) 276-2065
andy@balholm.com