Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 11:30:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Kris Kirby <kris@hiwaay.net>, Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
Subject:   Re: Yowza!

On 16-May-00 Mark Ovens wrote:
> On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 07:39:11PM -0500, Conrad Sabatier wrote:
>> FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #0: Sat May 13 19:05:13 CDT 2000
>>     conrads@cx344940-a.meta1.la.home.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNEL
>> Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
>> CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor (998.07-MHz 686-class CPU)
>>   Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x622  Stepping = 2
>>   Features=0x183f9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,
>>   MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR>
>
> Just as a slight aside; is there a list anywhere of what all those
> Feature codes mean?

Probably buried somewhere in Intel's manuals.

FPU - Chip has a Floating-point Co-processor
VME - Virtual Mode Extensions - provides a virtual Interrupt Flag for
      vm86 mode tasks
DE  - Debug Exception (I think), has to do with the debug registers
PSE - Page Size Extension - allows a 4mb page to be used directly from
      the page directory instead of having a table of 4k pages
TSC - Supports the time stamp counter, specifically the RDTSC instruction
      to read it
MSR - This processors has MSR's, and supports accessing them via RDMSR and
      WRMSR
PAE - Page Address Extensions - this allows the processor to address 64
      Gig of memory instead of just 4 Gig by squeezing some extra bits out
      of the page directory entries.  When used with PSE, the large pages
      are 2mb in length instead of 4mb.
MCE - Supports the Machine Check Exception.
CX8 - Supports the CMPXCHG8B instruction.
SEP - hmm, not sure
MTRR - Supports Memory Type Range Registes, which allow you to specify
      the cache policy used on memory ranges.
PGE - Page Global Enable.  Allows you to specify that pages or page-tables
      are global pages and are present (and the same) in all of the page
      directories.  Thus when CR3 is changed to point to a new page
      directory, page tables or pages that are marked global do not have
      their entries flushed from the TLB.
MCA - Machine Check Architecture, not quite sure what it is.
CMOV - Conditional MOV instructions.  Supports a set of MOV instructions
      that only perform the MOV if a condition is met.  For example,
      CMOVZ %al, %bl is equivalent to "jnz @@; mov %al, %bl ; @@:"
PAT - Not sure.
PSE36 - Supports another variation of PSE that supports 36-bit addresssing.
      However, this provides this support by using only 4mb pages above the
      4 gig mark.  This is thus quite wasteful, and quite an ugly hack.
MMX - Supports MMX.
FXSR - No idea.

>>   AMD Features=0xc0400000<AMIE,DSP,3DNow!>

AMIE - No idea.
DSP - No idea.
3DNow! - Supports the AMD 3DNow! extensions.
SYSCALL - (seen on K6-[23]'s), supports AMD's SYSCALL instruction.

HTH