Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 19:48:13 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Thimble Smith" <tim@mysql.com>, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: periodic daily output (passwd diffs)

At 6:33 PM -0500 3/28/00, Thimble Smith wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 07:49:23PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> >At first glimpse, everything seems identical.. so, where is the
> >difference?  I realized that I had changed ONLY the password, and this
> >was shown in the diffs in this strange way--since the password is
> >clipped from the output of diff.
>
>It's on purpose.  The password is masked out for obvious reasons.

yes, but it would be nice if the masking out process noticed if a
password changed, and did something like "(oldpw)" "(newpw)" when
masking out lines with password changes.  (the literal strings,
"oldpw" and "newpw"...).

my guess is that's easier said than done, but still it would be
nice if it WERE done... :-)

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute