Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 10:46:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FTP drop box

Greetings,

This may be more of a general Unix question, but since I'm running a
FreeBSD system, I thought this was a good place to start.  In the shell
accounts I create for my users, I've set up FTP "drop boxes", which allow
users to do 2 things:  1) They can put files there that other people can
FTP in and grab anonymously, so they don't have to know the user's
password.  2) Outsiders can upload files to a special "incoming" directory
underneath the user's FTP directory; they cannot see the contents of this
directory, they can only place files there.

The problem I'm running into is that when someone uploads a file, the file
is owned by "ftp", and not by the user whose account it's going into, so
the file doesn't count towards the user's quota.  Consequently, outsiders
have been abusing this by uploading huge files and directories, probably
with the intent of filling up my filesystem.  (Thankfully, /ftp is on its
own drive.)  My question is, is there a way to get the OS to force
ownership on the file as soon as it's uploaded, so that outsiders cannot
upload more than will fit in the user's quota?  Or does anyone have a
suggestion as to a better method of implementing these drop boxes than
what I'm currently doing?

Thanks in advance,
Bryce