Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:15:47 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au (John Birrell)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MIME applications for FreeBSD

> I'm curious about what people regard as typical MIME applications
> that a site is expected to support. The volume of business email
> containing MIME "application/msword" has now exceeded my level of
> tolerance. When I consider changing ISPs and they send the
> application form MIME encoded for an application I do not have...
> When I receive support updates from a company we _pay_ for support
> and they send them MIME encoded... Grrr. Enough!
>
> Opinions?

1)	Boundry identification
2)	Multile logical message bodies seperated by boundry identifiers
3)	Content transfer encoding for binary data

As to what binary data is permitted to be encoded:

1)	Any binary data the sender and the recipient can agree upon

Though I'd be perfectly happy to see this limited to binary data for
which public source reference implementations exist (ie: no more Word
documents unless Microsoft publically documents Word file format, no
PDF documents unless Adobe documents their "encryption" preventing
the use of non-Adobe readers, but not preventing any Adobe reader from
decoding the document, etc., etc.).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org