Date:      Wed, 13 May 2009 22:48:17 -0500
From:      Espartano <espartano.mail@gmail.com>
To:        Jon Radel <jon@radel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about numbers of connections

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 8:16 PM, Jon Radel <jon@radel.com> wrote:
> Sam Wun wrote:
>>
>> Alix is for home user.
>>

> Which is just about as useful as the OP asking if the machine can handle =
"a
> lot of traffic without troubles" without giving us any hint whether he me=
ans
> traffic that keeps a 128 kbps DSL line semi-busy or if he has a 100 mbps
> fiber to his house that's practically melting from all the traffic. =A0:-=
)

> That said, I'll report that for years I used a "consumer class" Celeron
> machine with 384 MB of RAM to act as a firewall for some web sites with a=
 T1
> (1.5 mbps) of traffic hitting it at times, and had no known issues. =A0I'=
ve
> upgraded a bit by now but mainly just because rather than to solve any
> particular issue.

Ok, I think that I didn't explain it very well, I don=B4t have any hight
speed network, I only have used my Alix board at my house, but I
wondering how much work the Alix board could support, more
specifically I wonder if the Alix board could manage about 1 thousand
concurrent connections through a 100Mbps network making round-robin to
load balance and spread the connections between 3 or 4 servers, I
think that the Alix board could do it, It is only  a hypothetical case
but I would like to know if I can trust on my Alix board to do this
kind of job or not.

In other hand, what kind of embedded hardware do you recomend to
manage this kind of jobs ? maybe the answer could be buying a real
server and replace the hard disk with a CF memory using NanoBSD + PF.

Thanks a lot for your patience.

> Without knowing more about the traffic to be put across the machine, abou=
> the only real answer is: =A0Try it and see what happens.
>
> --
>
> --Jon Radel
> jon@radel.com

--=20
"Linux is for people who hate Windows, BSD is for people who love UNIX".

"Documentation is like sex: when it is good, it is very, very good;
and when it is bad, it is better than nothing."

My personal webblog http://people.linuxreal.org/espartano/blog/