Date:      Sun, 23 Dec 2018 16:49:59 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Per Hedeland <per@hedeland.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org" <emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Instant crash starting VBox on 12.0-Stable

On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 2:21 AM Per Hedeland <per@hedeland.org> wrote:

> On 2018-12-23 06:13, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 3:58 PM Per Hedeland <per@hedeland.org <mailto:
> per@hedeland.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 2018-12-22 19:19, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >      >
> >      > Can anyone confirm running VirtualBox on head after 11.0-Release?
> >
> >     Apparently you meant to ask "after 12.0-RELEASE", though I'm not sure
> >     about the "after" - anyway *on* 12.0-RELEASE, I'm running
> >     virtualbox-ose-5.2.18_1 (from package) with
> >     virtualbox-ose-kmod-5.2.22_1 (from port) without problems. Pretty
> >     light usage though, a single VM running Linux, started "directly"
> with
> >     "VirtualBox --startvm xxx" and only access via ssh. Starting the
> >     "manager application" i.e. plain "VirtualBox", works fine too,
> though.
> >
> >     But, I'm not loading any vboxnet* modules (seems to be more than one
> >     these days), only vboxdrv - and that via kld_list in rc.conf, i.e. I
> >     have no vbox* variables set there. After fighting with the networking
> >     setup (in more complex cases, that I don't currently use) with first
> >     vmware and then qemu I decided to do as little as possible of that
> >     with VirtualBox itself - only bridge to a tapN device, and do the
> rest
> >     ("actual" bridging/routing) with the standard FreeBSD functionality.
> >
> >     --Per Hedeland
> >

> > No, I actually meant "be4fore", but I guess it depends on your point of
> view.. The issue was first reported on RC2, and I have now tested to before
> the branch of 12 from head. I am about to test on
> > head from August. It has worked on 11.2 all the way through Dec. 17, so
> it is something that changed some time ago. Your experience tells me that,
> as I had suspected, that the issue is with the
> > network module which you do not use. So I am just hoping that someone
> who was testing head and used VirtualBox with networking.
>
> Well, I do use "VirtualBox with networking" - as I wrote, bridged to a
> tapN device, which doesn't require the vboxnet* modules. (I then, with
> a bit of overkill for this setup, have created a standard FreeBSD
> "bridge" interface to which I "addm" both the tapN (via a devd action)
> and my physical ethernet interface.) I am not aware of any
> functionality that the "builtin" VirtualBox networking provides that I
> can't achieve without it. But of course if you are specifically
> interested in using it, I don't have any relevant info.
>
> --Per
>
> > Thanks for the report. It certainly help a bit. Now to boot the August
> 2018 kernel and see what happens.

Problem resolved. Turns out that VIMAGE is now required for 12.0. If you
install the package, it is built with VIMAGE, but, if you build the port
and had the old default , it didn't change and you got no indication that
the default has changed. The default was changed 4 days after head made
VIMAGE the default, so it looks like having VIMAGE selected when the kernel
is buiit without it is not an issue. It works with VIMAGE detected on 11.2
where the kernel does not default to VIMAGE.

It looks like the appropriate choice is to eliminate the option if there is
no reason for it.

Thanks to Ivo Karabojkov for reporting the solution!
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com