Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:35:16 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Andrew Hesford" <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>, "Michael Aucoin" <maucoin01@mediaone.net>
Cc:        "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>, "Rick Hamell" <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>, "Jeff Soule" <jsoule@webcrossing.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Different Device Names for Identical NICs

Hi Andrew,

  There are also some disadvantages of using different nic cards
in a system, they are:

1) If you have a problem with one of the NIC's it's harder to troubleshoot.
For example, suppose the network attached to one of the cards starts
suffering a ton of deformed packets, well if both nics are the same you
can simply switch interfaces with the network drop cables as well as
switching IP numbers on the interfaces, then reboot and see if the problem
follows the card or the network.

While you can do this with different manufacturer's nic cards, it won't give
you
proof of a hardware failure being the culprit, because it could have just
been an incompatibility between a particular hub and a particular card.

2) If you have decided on the absolute best card for your system, why
sacrifice
one of the interfaces?

3) There may be a possibility that the cards are incompatible with each
other

4) You may find that the motherboard's BIOS will permit interrupt sharing on
the 2 cards which may not occur on 2 dissimilar cards.