Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 21:19:56 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Burbaickij Ariel <Ariel.Burbaickij@erl9.siemens.de>
Cc:        "'freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Xircom troubles [was: Re: Information I was requested for]

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 08:31:02AM +0100, Burbaickij Ariel wrote:
> [...]

I'm just trying to verify exactly how you've configured things before
jumping to the conclusion that there's something wrong with the driver.
I'd be the first to admit it's far from perfect, *but*, 90% of the problems
people have had with it have been solved by tweaking their configuration.

Perhaps you could post the contents of your /etc/pccard_ether, /etc/rc.conf
and the relevant part of /etc/pccard.conf?  The Xircom-OEMed COmpaq cards
do work perfectly well for a lot of people, so my money's still on this
being an IRQ problem.

> I thought that DHCP as autoconfiguration tool and development BOOTP
> WAS actually invented as mean of taking trouble of manual configuration
> from you. If the cat does not catch mice it is thrown out.So what should
> this fuss with DHCP option on-stratup mean ?

What you say about DHCP is true, but it's easier to isolate the problem if
we reduce the number of things that aren't working -- clearly DHCP is going
to fail if the network card isn't behaving, so let's get rid of it until we
know we have a good network link.

	Scott

P.S. *Please* could you quote your replies in a more normal way -- it's
very difficult to tell who wrote what in your message, and I wrote half of
it :-)  I suspect you're using Outlook; it definitely can be configured to
put a marker character at the start of quoted text, although I can't
remember which menu option it is right now.  Thanks!