Date:      Tue, 29 Nov 2011 23:58:36 +0100
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        =?utf-8?Q?Erik_N=C3=B8rgaard?= <norgaard@locolomo.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: No network in mixed FBSD81/90 chroot environment

On 29 Nov 2011, at 23:27, Erik N=C3=B8rgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org> wrote:

> On 29/11/2011 15:58, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
>=20
>>> Should add: Network on the host FBSD81 system works fine.
>>=20
>> When you chroot to your /mnt/ folder you're still using the 8.x kernel
>> and thus the 8.x NIC drivers, with a 9.x userland.
>>=20
>> This might be your problem.
>=20
> That seems strange though, first, drivers are loaded into the kernel so th=
ere is no mismatch there, 8.1 drivers in 8.1 kernel. And then, this is the o=
utput from ifconfig, first the chroot environment, then the host environment=
:
>=20
> FreeBSD chroot # ifconfig
> re0: flags=3D8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0=
 mtu 1500 options=3D389b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,W=
OL_UCAST,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC>
>    ether e0:69:95:77:f1:20
>    media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>    status: active
> plip0: flags=3D8810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
> lo0: flags=3D8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
>    options=3D3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
> pflog0: flags=3D141<UP,RUNNING,PROMISC> metric 0 mtu 33200
> FreeBSD chroot # exit
>=20
> alpha# ifconfig
> re0: flags=3D8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0=
 mtu 1500
> options=3D389b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_UCAST=
,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC>
>    ether e0:69:95:77:f1:20
>    inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 0xfffffe00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
>    media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>    status: active
> plip0: flags=3D8810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
> lo0: flags=3D8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
>    options=3D3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
>    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
>    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
>    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
>    nd6 options=3D3<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV>
> pflog0: flags=3D141<UP,RUNNING,PROMISC> metric 0 mtu 33200
>=20
> So, the devices are there, just no network connectivity.
>=20
>> What are you trying to achieve with this, a smooth 8.x ->  9.x transition=
 ?
>=20
> Well, I don't know what happened on the host system, but the kernel fails b=
uilding, even kernel 8.2, at if_vlan. Since I decided to migrate to the othe=
r disk and upgrade to 9.0 I created a chrooted environment on the new disk a=
nd build sources there.
>=20
> Now, the tricky part is that this is a headless system and I need it to be=
 up or at least be sure that I can roll back if something fails.
>=20
>> You may want to, instead, install your 9.0 on a different machine
>> (possibly a VM), then use dump on the filesystems to inject them
>> properly on your new disk on the original machine.
>>=20
>> You should then be able to reboot on the new disk just fine.
>=20
> Thanks, for the suggestion, but sounds risky, the disks are not identical s=
ize.
>=20

Disk/slice sizes are not relevant, dunp only injects the actual data (ie fil=
es/folders)

You can dump a 20gb partition then import it into a 50gb one.

> It seems I have a workaround that will get my new disk ready: Using fetch-=
recursive I've downloaded the sources of the ports I need installed, so I ca=
n build in the chroot without network access.