Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 1998 19:10:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/7140: new port htdig

The following reply was made to PR ports/7140; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To: Bill Fumerola <billf@firewall.chc-chimes.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 21:55:59 -0400 (EDT)

 [Please note that this is _not_ a full review of your port, nor
 am I volunteering to commit it.  You mentioned that it was your
 first port submission so I looked-over it quickly.]

 [The above note is only in existence to prevent you from assuming
 otherwise, which seems to happen too often.  It is a standard
 disclaimer, only...not at all customized towards you! :-]

 On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Bill Fumerola wrote:

 > Xpost-patch:
 > X	${RM} -rf ${WRKSRC}/gdbm*

 It's questionable whether you should be removing files in the
 *patch rules, even if those files aren't used.  Somebody may want
 to do ``make patch'' and then hack on the port themselves,
 perhaps using the boxed gdbm.

 > sed 's/^X//' >/usr/ports/textproc/htdig/pkg/COMMENT << 'END-of-/usr/ports/textproc/htdig/pkg/COMMENT'
 > Xhtdig is a search engine similar to glimpse

 COMMENT is not allowed to start with ${PKGNAME}.  Somebody should
 add a check for this in portlint.

 May I suggest in place,

 A web search engine for sites with a small number of pages.

 > Xwww/data/htdig/search.html
 > Xwww/data/htdig/button1.gif
 [...]
 > Xwww/cgi-bin/htsearch
 [...]
 > Xwww/htdig/bin/rundig

 I'm not familiar with how websites are set-up.  If throwing these
 things into www/ is normal, then fine.  Otherwise, you may
 consider share/htdig, libexec/, and bin/, respectively.

 > X-DEST=                  /opt/www/htdig
 > X+DEST=                  /usr/local/www/htdig

 MeepMeepMeepMeepMeep!  Zzzzwwweeerrrrkkkrrrrpppllluuunk!  ;-)

 If you can get away with changing these to

 ${PREFIX}/www/htdig

 then do so.  If, in the worst case they have to be hardcoded,
 then add add a rule,

 post-patch:
 	/usr/bin/perl -pi.orig -e 's!/opt/!${PREFIX}/!' ${WRKSRC}/CONFIG

 Try very hard to avoid patching CONFIG twice.  Ie., don't have
 a patches/patch-?? that applies to CONFIG and then also have the
 above rule unless you really want to risk confusing any
 spectators.

 I strongly believe that obeying ${PREFIX} is important.  If we
 want to do away with some variable, let's do away with
 ${NO_PORT_DOCS}, or wahtever that stupid thing is called.

 [If this is GNU_CONFIGURE, there is quite possibly an easier way
 to change these things]

 > echo x - /usr/ports/textproc/htdig/patches/patch-ab
 > sed 's/^X//' >/usr/ports/textproc/htdig/patches/patch-ab << 'END-of-/usr/ports/textproc/htdig/patches/patch-ab'
 > X--- configure.in.old	Fri Aug 15 17:32:15 1997
 > X+++ configure.in	Wed Jul  1 13:05:40 1998

 MeepMeep!  This wouldn't have to be GNU_CONFIGURE=yes, would it?

 [That "MeepMeep" thing is just a little noise I hear in the back
 of my head (sometimes the front)...it is not in any way intended
 to be condenscending, crude, or stupid. :-]

 > X AC_PATH_PROG(TSORT, tsort)

 This really smells like GNU_CONFIGURE=yes...

 > X+LIBDIRS=	-L../htlib -L../htcommon -L../@RX_DIR@/rx -L/usr/local/lib
 > X+INCS=		-I../htlib -I../htcommon -I../include -I../@RX_DIR@/rx -I/usr/local/include
 -L @PREFIX}/lib
 -I @PREFIX@/include

 Other than that, it looks good!  [And if you're at this point
 wondering how much "other than that" there is, don't worry---it's
 possible to nitpick most of the ports that have been committed,
 too :-]

 --
 Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
 tIM...HOEk