Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 23:44:55 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        scrappy@hub.org (The Hermit Hacker)
Cc:        kris@catonic.net (Kris Kirby), tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual CPU Xeon server hangs on SMP kernel ...

> > > Okay, since I can't actually boot into SMP, how would you suggest I get
> > > that information?  MPtable I know how to get, and can do that without
> > > being in SMP, so will get that one later tonight and send it on, but any
> > > sugggestions on how to get the dmesg from an actual SMP boot is most
> > > welcome?
> >
> > Pull the keyboard and connect to the box with a null-modem connected to
> > COM1 of the Xeon box. Capture to logfile. cat ~/logfile | mail
> > freebsd@lists.
>
> damn, I was afraid that was going to be the only solution :(  ah well,
> will try and get into office tonight and do this ...

It's important to see the stuff that comes up differently
when attempting an SMP boot.

However, assumming you had a UP boot in hand, you could get
most of the information by comparing it to a hung SMP boot,
and manually filing in the differences.

The first thing to check is that chipset features, Id, and
stepping are identical; if they aren't, you could have
problems.

The other issues are MPtable version, interrupt routing, and
BIOS programming of your chipset (in general, I think that
selecting "UnixWare" has shown the most overall success, but
ou may need to go into advanced BIOs options for specific
settings).

BIOS versions and other stuff are also useful.

The reason you didn't get this shotgun to start with (the way
you asked the questions is basically a request for a shotgun)
is that it's more useful to the project as a whole to know
exatly why you are failing, so that it can be surgically
corrected.  Giving you a shotgun, and getting back a "Thanks;
it works now" message doesn't provide a way for changing the
code to avoid your situation in the future, and handing out
shotguns for all of eternity isn't really a tenable support
situation.

Now that I've given you a shotgun, at least fire off only one
pellet at a time, and let us know which one, if any, hits the
mark.

Preferrably, you'll go to the trouble of capturing the data,
so that we can give you a better diagnosis, and help avoid
this pain for others (or your next system) in the future.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.