Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2002 13:17:28 -0500
From:      Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        Dale Morris <dlm@well.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: first install

At 08:32 2002/02/16 -0800, Dale Morris wrote:
>I just moved from linux to freebsd and I'm really pleased with what I
>see so far. Things seem to load and execute much faster in freebsd and I
>like what I've seen with the freebsd website and the user community.

You mention below that you used Slackware and RH---both good distributions
for their purpose, but both a bit heavy--that is, including many things
which you may never use (one reason you'll see that your FreeBSD will
probably boot a lot more quickly.)  If you strip either Slack or RH down,
or use one of the more minimalist distros, like Gentoo, you'll find that
they're almost as fast (I haven't done any serious benchmarking--once, in a
dull moment timed startups---FreeBSD was tied with Gentoo Linux---MS Win2k
took the longest.   :)

As for your terminal problems--by any chance are you using an ASUS
MB?  There have been some problems--apparently (judging from some
lackadaisical searches on deja--that were marked as bugs in 4.3 but not
fixed.  Not sure if it's all ASUS boards or just A7A266---never did get my
Voodoo5 card running on that, and even with a fairly generic G200 can only
get 1024x768 wit XFree 3.x not 4.x

Another thing that Fred mentioned the other day, but that is worth
repeating--he first told me this on another list, and I've become a
believer--the man pages are far better in FreeBSD.   It just seems (to me
at least, again subjective, no real benchmark testing) a more powerful O/S,
though less tolerant of bad hardware than some Linux distros, as well as
more flexible--just a quick, and trivial example---in RH, if you want to
unzip a bzip2 file, you do tar -jxvf--in Slack, you do tar -yxvf.  Neither
will accept the other--that is, if you use the y option in RH, you get
unknown option and the same if you use j in Slack.  BSD, however, knows
both and can use either.

As I said, that's just a trivial example, but one does get used to its
convenience.
It's a lot of fun.

Scott Robbins