Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:20:46 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        Yoshihiro Ota <ota@j.email.ne.jp>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: support quality (Re: dump | restore fails: unknown tape header type 1853384566)

--nextPart65162929.sPH3db2Mya

On Wednesday 25 March 2009 14:59:36 Mikhail T. wrote:
> Daniel O'Connor =CE=C1=D0=C9=D3=C1=D7(=CC=C1):
> > People ARE helping you, just because they haven't come up with an answer
> > is no reason to send snarky comments to the list.
>
> No, sorry, people aren't. They are trying, yes, but not even close. The
> suggestion to eliminate the -a switch (a no-op, in fact) was
> particularly unhelpful -- and deserving of mockery. Later on someone
> with a similar problem will find this thread with a search engine and
> will be trying to follow the posted advices -- to no avail, of course,
> plunging FreeBSD further into disrepute.

I don't see how whining about it's going to change it. Insulting people for=
=20
having a helpful attitude (even if it didn't solve your problem) is not goi=
ng=20
to reward them for their time and effort.

> > Outrage (fake or otherwise) that people don't seem to be taking your
> > particular problem seriously is unhelpful and probably
> > counter-productive.
>
> It is fairly obvious by now, that no real help will be forthcoming, for
> whatever reason. Thus any talk of "productivity" is moot. Thanks for
> trying.

Except that I offered you a way of transferring your files that would prese=
rve=20
file flags and so on.

Yes, dump is broken for you, deal with it. It is quite possible your FS is=
=20
corrupt, and/or your disk is damaged.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."