Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 16:28:06 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD support for Adaptec/Buslogic drivers

E-mail message from Warner Losh contained:

> In message <199610311020.AA031447211@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
> "Hr.Ladavac" writes:
> : If you want cheap SCSI, how about NCR?
>
> Any "brand names" that have a NCR chip on them?  Or is this only for
> those controllers that are built into motherboards?

ASUS SC200 (or something like that) if you require a brand name.
Otherwise, any run-of-the-mill NCR *810 controller will do, as they are
nothing more than the chip, a connector, and pcb traces binding them
together.

Virtually no OEM motherboards are delivered with SCSI on-board; the
controllers I'm talking about are all PCI cards.  Stefan Esser's
driver is *very* good :)

Your motherboard BIOS must have support for NCR 810 to work--all ASUS'
I know do.  Otherwise you need an 815, which are not that easy to find
(since nobody needs them :)

A generic card costs about USD 50 wholesale (here in Austria; probably
less in USA).

/Marino