Date:      Sat, 20 May 2000 11:45:11 -0400
From:      Eric Ogren <eogren@earthlink.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/18683: Insufficient detail in /usr/src/UPDATING instruc

On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 10:26:16AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> People have to start somewhere, and if we are going to grow our userbase,
> we will have to appeal to more newbies.  There's more to making a widely
> used OS than writing code. :-)

 Well, I'm not one of the "make the OS as obscure as possible, so nobody
but experienced users can use it", but I also think that we should
discourage newbies from performing an activity that could potentially
completely screw up their installation.
 I certainly think that we should appeal to more newbies, and indeed
that's why I have sent in a couple of PRs to the doc-team, because, like
pretty much any open source project, the docs tend to lag behind the
code. I just think we should try to avoid throwing newbies in over their
head; you wouldn't ask an average NT user to set up a 5,000 user domain (I
can't think of anything analagous(sp) to upgrading via source), and I
don't think we should be encouraging a FreeBSD user who doesn't know how
to mount his drives to undertake a potentially dangerous upgrade.

Eric