Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 2004 05:11:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      probsd org <probsdorg@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   chfn, date, chsh INFECTED according to chkrootkit

I ran chkrootkit ( v. chkrootkit-0.43 ) earlier and
noticed that chfn, date, and chsh showed as being
infected. I remember reading post from the past that
right now chkrootkit is giving alot of false
positives, so I suspected that these 3 binaries are
not bad.

However, to be on the safe side, I deleted the 3
binaries, removed /usr/src and did a 'make world' to
4.10-STABLE.

But, chfn, cfsh, and date are stilling showing as
infected.

Is my assumption that I am seeing a false positive
correct, or anyone know of an exploit that would
affect these 3 binaries ( and even after a 'make
world' from clean src )?

Michael