Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:31:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/pci pci.c pcisupport.c pcivar.h

> : time, you tentatively load all drivers and enter their identify entry point
> : with a dev_info_t asking, "do you drive this device?". Simple enough. The hard
> : part is to try (if you think it's important) to arbitrate between several
> : different drivers who want to drive that device.
>
> Most of this is present in FreeBSD right now, except for load all
> drivers at boot and unload the ones that don't probe.

*cough*. Let me correct myself.

Strictly speaking, Solaris doesn't do quite do this. It only loads drivers for
which it it finds a binding to a hardware name. I argued strenously for the
'load all' case because if you start with everything loaded, you can sort out,
in memory, the bus interconnects, w/o having to do any fancy special case
dependencies or any 'side' configs for booting. But I lost that argument back
in 1990.

> We're moving away from hard wired configuration, so it becomes more and
> more possible to have all drivers just load and unload as needed.

That's right. That's why I haven't screamed at Peter for all the surprise
roto-tilling in config becuase it's the right start in that direction.

-matt